Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Is My JR FMU Whacked???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bihari's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2002
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi Folks...I've been trying some of the mods you guys have come up with (great stuff BTW),but in playing around with trying to set baseline/static fuel pressures, I don't seem to get a change in baseline pressure(with the vaccuum line on the JR FMU removed & plugged)no matter how far I turn the adjustment screw in.FMU seems to be working...I get a rise in FP on accelleration, & green LEDs on my AF guage (after doing the larger 3/8" lines & fittings to the FMU mod, better [lower] rise rate, but without being able to set static/baseline FP, I can't calculate the rise ratio). So...Just wondering if the JR FMU is the bad boy? It's the original FMU (1996)..& I hear most folks have had problems with them.
    Also, if it's the most likely suspect, any good sources for a Cartech & an AEM rail regulator (seems to be the set up most of you like) ?? Thanks , & keep the great posts running !! I've learned more usefull stuff on this board than ANYWHERE else on the Net.......Later...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bihari's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2002
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Hi Holden....I'm currently running 50-52 Lb & can adjust it down to as low as 40 (I have an old FP rail riser I bought a few years ago before all these new goodies came out. Looks like a chrome tube with a 0-70 lb guage mounted on it,[which agrees pretty well with the B&M filter mounted guage]& attaches to the fuel rail with a brass adapter & piece of hose & vaccuum line. adjuster looks like an old water faucet.) I can adjust the pressure with this riser fine, but if I remove the JR FMU Vacc hose, there is NO change in FP, no matter which way I turn the JR adjuster. Also , after doing the JR FMU mod, the car is definitly running better going into boost (lower rise rate ?} but if I run it up just to the point where it should be transitioning from vacc>boost, it gets a little "fluffy" (not missing, but not quite right )..I think it's because that's where the slightly higher FP baseline comes in, & That's what I can't seem to adjust. Appreciate the help.... Later.....

  3. #3
    Inactive Member BoostedEX's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2000
    Posts
    759
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I am under the impression that the JR FMU is ONLY a 5:1 rise rate and nothing more!?!?!

    I would ditch the JR FMU and get a Cartech regardless..... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bihari's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2002
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    You're right BoostedX...The JR FMU is set @ 5:1 rise rate, that's why I tried the "Larger 3/8 fuel line mod" to lower the rate.(can't remember who posted that)..I't DOES seem to lower the rise rate, but I can't determine the rate becauese of the inability to do the static/baseline/max FP thing..(BTW, I couldn't do this before I did the FMU mod either)..Will probably get the Cartech FMU anyway...If I can get a decent price on one.. [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the input.....Later.....

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As the proud new owner of a Cartech, I say, save yourself the worry and heartache and buy a Cartech! Your JRSC will thank you! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bihari's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2002
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    hey 217gsr....where did you get your Cartech (which model also ) & what did you pay for it ??

    Thanks....

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got a used 20005 from JRCivic (Jim) for a really great price! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Give him a call, I'm sure he can give you a deal on one.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What static FP are you at?

    When JR FPR's went bad on me, static FP would stick really high, like in the 90's. I could raise static FP higher by adjusting the FPR, but could not lower FP below where it was stuck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •